Saturday 13 November 2010

100th Post - Killa Kela's 2008 Beatbox for DMC

It's my 100th post here on The Disc Jockey Blog, and I've been reliving some old memories through my collection of videos I have taken.

Back in 2008, I went to the DMC World DJ Championships - A competition where scratch/beat juggling DJ's compete for a pair of gold Technics 1210 Turntables.

That year saw some great routines, from DJ Skully, DJ Final, and the winner - DJ Fly of France. There was also a showcase from the 2007 winner, DJ Rafik - One of my favourite routines since the electro hip-hop takeover of DMC.

Another showcase on the night was from host Killa Kela, a british beatboxer. This ended up being the highlight of my night and it went a little like this.


There's some classic tunes he recreates in this routine, like Golden Skans, Everyone Nose, Renegade Master.
I came away inspired from this and beatbox to myself almost daily. I'm not ready to perform on stage or anything but I really enjoy doing it.

This prompted me to buy Killa Kela's album the following year, Amplified is more electric dance but incorporates beatbox elements within its production. It's a really feel good summer album, and features Bashy and Tinie Tempah.

Well worth a preview on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Here's your chance..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...