Wednesday 8 July 2009

Spotify Vs Grooveshark

Two very different services, one very similar aim, free music streaming.

Spotify and Grooveshark both allow users to search for songs to listen to, for free, but do not allow downloads, keeping it legal. Both rely on advertisements to keep them going, as well as charging fees for premium users.

The main difference is that Spotify is a programme that can be downloaded to your PC, whereas Grooveshark is solely online, no download necessary.
With Spotify, you will need to register an account, which is no hassle at all, however with Grooveshark this isn't necessary. It is worth noting though, that the user gets a lot more out of Grooveshark with an account. Accounts are free to set up on both Spotify and Grooveshark. Happy days!
Here is the registration screen for Spotify...



As far as searching for tracks goes, both are on a par, understandably there isn't absolutely any track you can think of. If there's stuff not on there that you feel should be, it's up to you to contribute and upload it there!

The interface of Spotify reminds me a lot of iTunes, this is definitely a good thing for me. I use iTunes a lot, so this Spotify setup is easy on the eye, and I've found, after literally 2 minutes use, that it's very easy to navigate around.
This is not to say that the Grooveshark interface isn't pleasing to the eye, I've been using Grooveshark for a while now and I do find it easy to navigate around. It's also easy on the eye and quite clear to the user what is going on.


This is the Spotify homepage, showing what's hot, what's new, a lot like the iTunes store homepage.


Here is the Grooveshark homepage, simple, search for what you want. It gets to the point, it knows why you're there. You do miss out on the whole "new music" side of things however.

So, I've got my account, got my head round the homepage, now I want to search for a song. I decided to search for "Playtawin" by Gang Starr. Thought this might be a challenge for them as it's not exactly pop music. Lo and behold they both have the song, great news. Sound quality is equal for Spotify and Grooveshark, both more than adequate.


Here is the "Now playing" screen for Spotify. Again, it looks a lot like iTunes, nice large album art in the bottom left corner, not much else to say really.


Here is the equivilant for Grooveshark.
You will notice that I have the info open for the track. This is a really useful feature, it provides the direct link for the song, so you can share it with friends. It also shows similar tracks, which is a good idea. The only problem with it is that in my experience, the similar tracks it throws up aren't similar enough. This will no doubt improve as it grows and more users contribute to Grooveshark. You may notice the play icon that appears to have a jagged circle around it. This is autoplay, and will play endlessly throwing up similar tracks, but again, it's what they feel are similar tracks.


Talking of sharing the music, here are the sharing options for Spotify, Delicious and Facebook. Quite limited, but it is very easy to share what you are listening to with other Spotify users, as it provides a URL you can share which will automatically open up Spotify and go direct to the track/album/playlist that has been shared.


Here are the sharing options for Grooveshark. You have Facebook, Twitter, and StumbleUpon. As a big Twitter user, this gives Grooveshark a big advantage for me. You can tweet what you have listened to, it will automatically shorten the URL via bit.ly and you can add a personal message. Fantastic!


A big disadvantage for Spotify - the adverts! It will play adverts between songs. Not between every song, but it is annoying and you can't skip them. With Grooveshark, the only adverts you see are on the sidebar, and to be honest, you hardly notice them.

It's worth noting that during writing this blog a really loud condom advert came on, very embarrassing.

Spotify does also have a radio, although I found it very difficult to understand, I was expecting it to be the same as last.fm, but it really isn't. I will continue to play around with that and will address that in a future blog post.

So, to conclude, I really like the look of Spotify, but I do find Grooveshark more practical. It's a lot like comparing any leading mobile phone to the iPhone. Grooveshark is the high spec phone that works really well, and has all you need and perhaps more. Spotify is the iPhone, that may not be as good in spec, but it does just look and feel so good. It's also nice to have an application you can open rather than having an internet browser open for it.
I definitely think that Grooveshark's sharing options are a lot better, you can share it with anyone who has an internet connection, and they will not need to register. The twitter sharing really is a plus as I mentioned earlier.
If everyone in the world had Spotify, and contributed to it, it has the potential to be a massive service and fantastic for music sharing. But as it stands, Grooveshark is a lot better for that.

I'm going to make a decision, and because of the advertisements, Grooveshark wins this battle. The Twitter sharing also bumps up its score. It would be a lot closer had Spotify not bombarded me with a condom advert, bad times.

I will end though by saying the interface on Spotify is beautiful, making it a joy to use. I will continue to use it for the forseeable future. I will just have to keep my eyes and ears open at the end of each song to save further embarrassment.

13 comments:

  1. I don't think Grooveshark is legal. A lot of their music isn't licenced. Better to stick with Spotify. Less music there, but overall, its a better service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, groveshark is 100% legal. it has an interface p2p that makes people share their files , bla bla bla....
    and it is mainly saved by the authors rights (I mean authors with the people who upload their files)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grooveshark is legal, they have deals with lots of artists, and any music that they don't have deals with they remove, and repeat offenders are stopped from uploading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys..

    What Grooveshark should have is a free desktop version and not just this browser version...

    But there is a solution to this, you can download a small program called HappyTunes which basically just is Grooveshark on your desktop.

    This program lets you minimize to tray which is awesome. Just create playlist, hit play, minimize and enjoy..

    Would be nice to have a forum to share it on.

    visit at happytunes.org for more information

    Spread the word folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grooveshark has an adobe air version (desktop version) which you can download and to be honest it works 200 times better than the spotify desktop version. I really dont see how you guys can actually compare spotify vs grooveshark. Spotify is all marketing but ITS NOT in any way shape or form better than Grooveshark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a grooveshark user, and I have to say, what I appreciate more than anything is the fact that there are no country restrictions. Spotify isn't available in my country, but Grooveshark is.

    GS is as legal as youtube - the only people ever penalized for misbehavior are the uploads, and only for uploading material that they don't have copyrights to (plus, they have a licensing deal with EMI). Listening is free and legal.

    The desktop version, as Rodrigo says, totally rocks. And there is a mobile version, as well as Last.FM integration. Single best investment I've ever made in music.

    ~ Wogan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the ads.. Spotify ads make me crazy, much like Hulu ads. With Grooveshark, I can see them - but they don't interrupt my playlists. I use Grooveshark to teach courses, so the less intrusive option is better (i.e. Grooveshark).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now you have an annoying ferrari engine sound ad in Grooveshark that appears once or twice an hour mixed with the song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a Spotify Unlimited user and I love Spotify. :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Grooveshark!!!!

    Grooveshark is the absolute bestand I would no be able to live without it!!

    WoopWhup!!

    Team Grooveshark<3<3
    -and it is legal
    -and it is the best ;)
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you use chrome you can both make a "desktop" version of Grooveshark, as well as remove the ads. Dunno about spotify, but it seems to me that if you use those chrome add ons you get the first tier of paid services for free from either GS or spotify...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll also add that I have never received as brilliant service as at Grooveshark.
    I'm a VIP user (now "Anywhere") and they once accidentally billed me twice the same month. I contacted them: within 24 hours they had reimbursed all my payments (including prior months) AND gave me a year's free VIP membership.
    On top of that, when my year's free subscription was done the price for VIP had increased from $3 to $9 a month in the meanwhile. I wrote to them that I originally paid $3 back in the day. No worries, they made sure I would still only pay that amount.
    <3 Grooveshark

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use to use Spotify and found that some tracks stopped being available telling me I used them the maximum number of times, has anyone else found that ? I just discovered Grooveshark, OK so far, don't know if it will do the same, just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Here's your chance..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...