Friday 3 July 2009

See You In Another Life Brother

I don't know if anyone remembers, or cares, about that scottish bloke from Lost called Desmond. I thought this guy was hilarious, and the quote "I'll see you in another life brother" killed me every time.
So, as an impressionable 16 year old, I wanted to do something with it. I'd had my turntables a good 6 months at this point, made a few mixes and whatnot, but nothing really original. So, I decided to make a song using the sample from the TV show. Lucky enough, I'd got into a habit of recording the programme because I couldn't be arsed to stay up to watch it, and always fell asleep through it when I tried.
So I sampled the audio from my DVD player into my mixer, along with a beat, which was "Ch-Check It Out" by The Beastie Boys, tune I was very much into at that time. I repeated the sample through, taking advantage of the A-B function on the DVD player. It seemed to work well enough with the beat.
I also used a different sample from Lost, concerning Desmond when he's being discharged from the army, which, by absolute blind luck, fit perfectly with the instrumental.
So I recorded this, and it needed a bit more, so I played the new tune through the mixer, and did some scratching over it. At this time, my scratching was very basic, I didn't even use the crossfader, I used the main fader for scratching effects, as i found it much much easier.
What came out was in no doubt a novelty, and that's probably what caused it's success among my mates, it was a hilarious song.

Anyway, I have finally decided to upload it to Youtube, a nice little reminder of where I was 3 years ago, where it all started. Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Here's your chance..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...