Thursday 11 November 2010

Strictlywax 10 Minute Dubstep Mix



Unfortunately, I haven't been able to even use my decks recently as the needle needs replacing, and I have more important financial commitments before I can splash out the dollar.

I do miss using my decks, so have been reminiscing over my past mixes, such as the one above. The interesting thing I've found about my 2010 mix is that it has not attracted anywhere near as much attention as my first few goes.

My 10 Minute Progressive Mix is my most successful, attracting over 2,000 hits. I'm not only proud of the hits - but it's also my smoothest, cleanest mix to date. Very happy with that one.

But why has my 2010 Mix not had the hits?

There can be several reasons as to why this one hasn't done so well, hopefully embedding it on this blog will increase the exposure:

It's Not as Good as the Others
This could be the issue, and I would put it down to that had not been for the fact that I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't want to upload something that wasn't clean, as I had set the standard with my Progressive Mix. All the feedback I have received on this 2010 Mix has been positive, and it's clean.

The Tracks Used Aren't Popular
A lot of the traffic directed to my videos comes from people searching for the tracks that are listed in my mix. If people aren't searching for those tracks, they are less likely to see my mix. All the tracks I used however were contemporary, and popular at the time of uploading. I still enjoy listening to them now.

It Didn't get the Exposure
My other videos had been embedded on dubstepforum, in a thread I had started called Post Your 10 Min Minimixes. I hadn't posted the 2010 Mix as by that time the thread had run out of steam, and I'm not one to dig up an old thread! However, the 2010 Mix was featured on Russian blog Viteker.ru and been recommended on Facebook. I think it's had equal exposure to my other mixes, but people feel less need to share this one.

It Wasn't Interesting for People to Share
My Progressive Mix was very conversational. I'd named it "progressive" because of the way the mix evolved from beginning to end. Some of the viewers on YouTube took it to mean that I was using "progressive dubstep" tracks, of which there are no such thing! This sparked debate on the video, and will have caused people to share the mix more. This is not the case for my 2010 Mix - this was a run of the mill mix, not doing anyone any harm, and not causing anyone to talk.

I think my last point is the most likely reason that the 2010 Mix has not done so well. I also think that the exposure is a factor and it's one of the points I'm trying to solve in embedding it on this blog.

The tracklisting is:
Example - Kickstarts (Bar9 Remix)
Trolley Snatcha - We Rock the Forest
Subscape - Midnight
Nero - Innocence
Subscape - Let Me Clear my Throat
Doctor P - Sweet Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Here's your chance..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...